*Meeting Minutes-25 March 2015Attendees:Shannon Eichelberger (SE)Eugene
Eichelberger (EE)Rebecca O’Neill (RO)User GroupWIkimedia Uk is still trying
to get in contact with WMF about transfer of the domain to us. EE will stay
on top of it.EE is still working on procurement.Edit-a-thonsRO will set up
a meeting for herself and EE with the Science Gallery next
week.WLMGrants:EE found another grant that we can apply for through the
Arts Council focused on 1916. We thought we could expand the WLM to
encompass 1916 sites. Closing date is 15 April. EE and SE will move forward
with it.Heritage Council grant has been submitted.WMF Grant-SE will put in
the grant proposal in early summerOutreach:We have agreed that we need to
reach out to photography groups for the 2015 competition. SE will create a
contact template for photography groups. SE will also register a user on
Meetup so we can join Meetup Photography groups.Monuments List:SE will
begin to work on creating a list from the National Inventory of
Architectural Heritage of publically accessible sites. SE will also begin
to contact the Local Heritage Councils for their lists. The next meeting
will take place on 2 April 2015 at 7pm in Dublin. If you would like to
attend, either in person or via Google Hangouts, please send an email to
wikimediaireland(a)gmail.com <wikimediaireland(a)gmail.com> *
Meeting Minutes-16 March 2015
Shannon Eichelberger (SE)
Eugene Eichelberger (EE)
Clem McGann (CM)
Rebecca O’Neill (RO)
The Outreach grant has been approved by Wikimedia Foundation. EE will
source the Chromebooks and WiFi boxes.
Bank of Ireland has confirmed that our bank account is open. Still waiting
for the cards to arrive.
NUIG Training-We had a decent turnout. The edit-a-thon on women’s history
will be scheduled during the week of April 13.
WITS will get back to RO after the 18th about hosting an event with us.
Coding Grace-RO met with them. They are interested in hosting workshops
with us. They will also pitch us to run a workshop at the Inspire
Conference in June.
Science Gallery Exhibition-Submission date is 23 April. RO will work up a
submission to run a talk/edit-a-thon about Bletchley Park. EE will
seperately pitch running a few cryptology workshops during August. RO will
set up a meeting with the Science Gallery in the next 2 weeks.
Edtech Conference-May-Sharon put her proposal for this conference in Google
docs for everyone to comment on.
SE and EE will complete and submit the Heritage Grant this week. As part of
the grant we would need to organise at least 5 photowalks during Heritage
The new map is ¾ way done. Some of the points need to be re-converted. The
2014 list will be completed by the next meeting. Then we can start adding
Oliver submitted a position paper to the government on behalf of the group
in regards to the Public Sector Information License. You can see the
The next meeting will take place on Wednesday 25 March at 7pm in Dublin. If
you would like to attend, either in person or via Google Hangouts, please
send an email to wikimediaireland(a)gmail.com
See the message below on the Wikimedia Community Ireland submission to the
public consultation on open data licenses.
More information about the public consultation is here:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Oliver Moran
Date: 16 March 2015 at 11:28
Subject: Submission by Wikimedia Community Ireland
Cc: Eugene Eichelberger
Sir / Madam,
Please find attached the submission by Wikimedia Community Ireland to the
public consultation on open data policy.
Wikimedia Community Ireland (WCI) is the affiliate organisation of the
Wikimedia Foundation in Ireland. The Wikimedia Foundation is an American
non-profit and charitable organization headquartered in San Francisco,
The Foundation is best known for operating the free encyclopedia,
Wikipedia, as well as numerous other open-knowledge-based initiatives and
is a recognised leader in open knowledge internationally. The Foundation
employs 200 people, has revenues of US$52.8 million and cash equivalents of
WCI is very pleased at the Government’s decision to invite views on an open
data policy for Ireland and the decision to review the Public Sector
Information (PSI) license.
For your convenience, the submission is also available online here:
We would like to invite all Irish Wikipedians to our Meetup in Dublin on
Friday 20 March. If you're in Dublin join us at The Lord Edward pub across
the way from Christchurch Cathedral starting at 7pm. You can find out more
information and sign up here:
Wikimedia Community Ireland
Meeting Minutes-3 March 2015
Shannon Eichelberger (SE)
Sharon Flynn (SF)
Rebecca O’Neill (RO)
Several members of the Grants Advisory Committee have already said yes to
our outreach grant. There have also been requests for more specific metrics
and measures of success. SE will add them to the grant.
The info(a)wikilovesmonuments.ie has been set up. It was agreed that it
should be forwarded to the existing gmail account.
NUIG Training/Edit-a-Thon-Training has been confirmed for 10 March with the
edit-a-thon tentatively scheduled for 13 April. SF will create the project
page on Wikipedia and promote it through the university.
RO is working on a possible collaboration with WITS event over the next few
RO is also meeting with members of Coding Grace to organize a workshop with
The IDAT is still keen on having an event around the Year of Design. RO
will continue to coordinate.
CESI Conference-Eugene spoke at this conference over the weekend, which SE
and SF also attended. It was a good promotion event for the group with us
gaining 10 followers on Twitter and several interested groups.
EdTech Conference-May-The call for papers has come out for this conference.
SF will craft a proposal to present a talk and run it past the group.
The 2014 list is almost completely cleaned up with only 25 or so points yet
to be confirmed.
SE will supervise the start of re-mapping all the points.
Both RO and Eugene looked at the data from National Inventory of
Architectural Heritage and it looks promising. It is very well structured
and accessible. There are some issues with some of the buildings being on
private land, but they are not insurmountable. RO is the ongoing contact
with DAHG regarding this dataset. Eugene and RO also agree that there is
enough info here to put together an edit-a-thon, perhaps in the summer, to
promote the competition.
RO contacted WMUK about the pre-screening of images for the judges. They
gave us some great hints that we can use this year.
There is no meeting next week. The next meeting will take place on Monday
16 March at 7pm in Dublin. If you would like to attend, either in person or
via Google Hangouts, please send an email to wikimediaireland(a)gmail.com