On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimania '17 conference
organizers, we are now seeking volunteers to serve on the Scholarship
Review Committee for Wikimania 2017
scholarships are a special type of Travel and Participation Support
offering, administered by the WMF in partnership with the Wikimania
host team, with the purpose of bringing active Wikimedians from around
the world to attend Wikimania. The scholarship review committee is an
important and diverse group of volunteers who help promote the
program and review/select applicants. We encourage people from all
Wikimedia wikis to apply, so that the committee can handle
applications in many different languages.
The main duties of the committee members are:
in determining the requirements
for scholarship applicants
WMF will provide eligibility filtering as well as materials and tools
to the Scholarship Committee members
will only review applicants after initial eligibility has been assessed by WMF
* Assure that there is due consideration and a speedy response time to
all scholarship applications.
* Must be fluent in written English
an name local community member(s)
help them with English translations.
* Good communication skills.
* Passion, knowledge, and participation in the Wikimedia movement.
* Discretion and ability to handle confidential applicant information,
and objectively assess candidates.
* Evaluation of eligible applicants and delivering ranked list of
potential recipients to WMF (March '17)
* Evaluate the scholarship process afterward and provide feedback
* Prior attendance at previous Wikimania conferences and
strong knowledge of the cross-project
Wikimedia community are a plus!
* Participation in periodic online meetings with
committee and WMF staff (You
will be working remotely using review system, email, skype, and IRC.
Estimated amount of time: 30 hrs (mostly in March '17)
If you're interested in serving please send email to eyoung(a)wikimedia.org
The deadline to apply is December 8.
Projected Timeline for Committee activity:
Mid-December: Preparations and on-boarding of Scholarship committee
Jan-mid-February: Promotion of program and submission of applications
End Feb to mid-March: Review, Evaluation, and Selection of recipients.
Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any questions
about the program or what is involved.
Show replies by date