Theodorian is asking whether the logo used last year for Wikimania
(visible here: http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page), is
actually perceived to be the official logo to be used every year. I do
not think the issue has ever been discussed nor voted. I am not sure
though. I think it is best that we keep a consistent logo year after
year and this one should scale well. Opinion ?
*Wikimania 2007 Team Bulletin*
24 November, 2006<http://wikimania2007.wikimedia.org/wiki/Team_Bulletin/20061124>
We are starting to recruit volunteers for the preparation work and the
on-site services of Wikimania 2007 Taipei. Anyone who is interested in
contributing to this event, especially those living in Taiwan, is cordially
- Service location: over Internet or on-site.
- Talents needed:
1. Information pages/packets on Taiwan: help to collect, edit,
and maintain information pages about Taipei and Taiwan on the
2. Secretary: prepare meeting records, distribute notices and
3. Art designer of web pages.
4. On-site service: reception and other services on site.
5. Other specialized fields: will be selected from volunteers
for further training.
- Please contact: KJ <http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:KaurJmeb> Email:
kaurjmeb [at] gmail.comMSN: cityangelvmp [at] yahoo.com.tw
- The recruitment is open until June 30th, 2007 (subject to change
without further notice).
- Qualifications: No discrimination by age or gender. Applicant should
be interested in Internet culture, have a passion to volunteer, be familiar
with typing on computer, be eager to learn new things, enjoy collecting,
editing, and sharing information, and have spare time every week. Abilities
in foreign languages are preferred but not required.
- Computer skills: All levels are welcome, but those who are skilled
at the following software are especially needed:
1. graphics: Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver
2. website: HTML, CSS, PHP, MediaWiki
1. Service hours can be certified. Hours include those spent in
training and actual services.
2. Discounted admissions to Wikimania 2007.
- Please provide your name, telephone number, email, graduated school
and current occupation, and available time in your application message.
Besides the volunteer recruiting, the Team in Taipei also discussed the
following matters in its November 16th meeting over Skype:
- Intelligent Times <http://www.itmag.org.tw/>, a Chinese magazine by
Taiwan's Institute for Information Industry <http://www.iii.org.tw/>,
will feature a special report on Wikimedia and Wikimania next year. Some
articles will be contributed by Wikipedians in Taiwan.
- The first Wikimania 2007 volunteer training
be held on December 9th.
- The website group of the Team is still looking for people who are
familiar with PayPal, PHP, and API. Please contact
- Ingy <http://search.cpan.org/%7Eingy/> will host the session on
wikiwyg <http://wikiwyg.net/> during the Hacking days.
- Wikimania 2007 will continue to use the 2006 logo.
- A discussion and vote on the Chinese translation of "Wikimania" will
be held on Chinese Wikipedia. Qweaz is in charge of this matter.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave them at...
- Wikimania-l mailing
Everyone is welcome to reproduce and distribute this bulletin to their
websites, mailing lists, BBS, blogs, and so on, but please kindly include the
the official Wikimania 2007 website in your distribution.
The Wikimania jury has met and are pleased to announce that Wikimania
2007 will be held in Taipei, Taiwan. Taipei had the winning
combination of a dedicated and experienced bidding team, a great venue
with centralized accomodation and community areas, and strong
sponsorship opportunities. Taipei also provides the opportunity to
focus attention on the growing Asian language projects and the
international aspect of the Wikimedia Foundation, as well as learning
about other free knowledge efforts and projects in the region.
This was a very difficult decision. Every one of the shortlisted bids
this year were outstanding. The Turin bid came in a close second; their
team made a great effort to procure two strong locations and extensive
government support, and gathered the Italian community together to
develop an outstanding bid. Alexandria deserves recognition for
bringing the Egyptian and Arabic-language community into the spotlight,
and for finding a remarkable venue partner in the Library of Alexandria.
London also produced a very strong bid, with a great venue, focus on
educational outreach, the diversity of London, and the strong Wikimedia
Thank you to all of the bidders, including those who did not make
the shortlist, for your time and energy in developing these bids.
We hope this year's city teams will find ways to build on the contacts
and sponsors developed in the bid process for a 2008 bid or for hosting
a regional event.
We strongly encourage all who bid this year, and those of you wondering
whether your city could have done the same, to consider preparing city
bids for Wikimania in 2008 or 2009. Unofficial bids for 2008 should be
started now, as the decision on that city will be made this winter
(more details on 2008's bid process coming soon; watch
Now the work for the winners will begin, as they develop plans for the
conference next summer. We encourage the entire community to support
Taipei over the coming year in producing an outstanding conference.
The 2007 Wikimania bid jury