As you may know, we are working hard to include Wikimedia Commons
(structured data) batch editing and upload functionalities in OpenRefine
Very rough, experimental functionalities for uploading files to Commons are
almost ready! It will still be fiddly to install and run these - we will
improve this in the upcoming months. But we are ready for testing!
I would like to work with a few (think 3 to 5) diverse community projects
to test batch file uploads. This will help us a lot to find bugs and to
learn how we can support your workflows better.
Maybe you have an upcoming Commons upload that we can test with? If so,
please contact me!
Ideally this upload of files (any files!) is
* Rather small (max. a few hundreds of files).
* You preferably already have some basic data/information about the files.
* They are ready to be uploaded somewhere in June-September 2022, and it’s
OK if there is a bit of delay (you don’t have hard deadlines).
* The rights for the files are cleared / there is evidence that the files
have the right licenses/copyright .
* You are OK with it that some mistakes may happen during the test, for
instance some errors in Wikitext or structured data. (We are testing new
software!). You are willing to help look for and fix mistakes if they
* You can upload the files yourself, or you can let me upload them for you.
If you want to upload the files yourself with OpenRefine, we will help you
set up. In that case, it’s good if you are a bit tolerant of bugs, errors,
and unfinished software (we are testing brand new code that is still rough
around the edges!). It would be great if you can then also give us tips and
feedback about your experience.
Are you interested in this? Then send me an email off list with some
information about the kind of files you would like to upload.
All the best!
Sandra Fauconnier (User:Spinster / User:SFauconnier)