Search Platform team would like to present a prototype test site of new
and improved Wikidata fulltext search:
Please try your favorite searches on it and report whether it looks good
and which problems you notice.
Important to note for this prototype:
- The data in the search is imported from Wikidata index but not updated
from it after import, so it may be slightly out of date
- The search is in English by default but you can try other languages by
using uselang parameter, e.g.:
Note that since it's a test site, this is probably the best way to test
non-English searches as logins etc. may not work there properly.
- Search would work properly only for main & property namespace (0 and
What kind of problems we are looking for?
- Ranking and retrieval problems, i.e. result X appears too low or too
high in specific search, or does not appear at all (please tell us
specific search query and expected result)
- UI problems - i.e. the ranking is fine but highlighting or label or
description is broken or look bad, or not highlighting the result that
should be highlighted
Of course, if some search result worked spectacularly better for you, it
would be nice to know too :)
What should work?
Any search in Special:Search in main namespace and Property namespace
should produce sensible result. Searches without advanced syntax should
have better results than before, and search with advanced syntax (+, -,
*, quotes, etc.) should work no worse than before.
Please note that this is a test wiki, so nothing else but search is
expected to work, including clicking on other links, editing, browsing
to other pages, etc. This is also a test site, so short disruptions
might be possible when we update or change things or fix bugs reported
by you :)
How to provide feedback?
Several ways are possible:
- Reply to this list or personally to me if you prefer
- On-wiki message on my talk page:
- Talk to us on IRC: #wikimedia-discovery