Good to know:
* The Dutch Wikipedia had on its own more than 14.000 interwikiconflicts. I have created
weeks ago on nl-wiki a project page where all those interwiki conflicts are mentioned and
users started to clean up those conflicts.
Thanks to a botowner I was able to have such list, but this should have been made easy
with a tool! + for every Wikipedia!
* Besides interwikiconflicts there are also a lot of pages on which users added one
interwiki with the creation of the page, but after years it appears that no bot has ever
put the interwiki to that page on the other language version + if there were interwikis on
that page in another language that those interwikis wern't placed on the newly created
page by a bot.
* I also notice that if interwikis were connected between pages on several Wikipedias,
that not on every language variant all interwikis had been placed by bot, but only some of
This has as result that with the moving of interwikis from the local articles to Wikidata,
that if the bot is focussed on a certain project - which does not have all the interwikis
- the bot also doesn't move all the interwikis from pages in another language but only
moved the ones which were there on the focus project.
* A lot of bots have/had difficulties with synonyms of namespaces. On other language
versions of Wikipedia, the template namespace for example has besides the local name also
the generic "Template" name. If someone added an interwiki with the non-local
namespace, the bots have ignored them. This also counted for changes in the namespace name
on a wiki.
* I almost fully cleaned the template namespace from many left interwikis. I think I will
continue with the category namespace next. I noticed that users from other Wikipedias also
want to clean up their articles and other namespaces from local interwiki's, but they
miss the tools!
* On a lot of projects the templates for infoboxes and others have sub pages like /doc
where interwikis are added. Mostly the interwikis are already on Wikidata, but still are
the interwikis also local on the /doc page. Users on various projects need a tool to know
where this is the case and/or a bot is needed which is able to remove all these interwikis
from these subpages if the core page already has these interwikis on Wikidata.
* On a lot of projects there are permanently projected pages which have interwikis on
them. These should also be removed from these pages and moved to Wikidata. The local
communities need a tool to know which projected pages still have interwikis that can be
removed from these pages.
* I also notice that a lot of island groups of interwikis are on Wikidata. An island group
of interwikis means that a certain subject has two items on Wikidata (with two groups of
interwikis) while it should have only one item. We need a tool which can suggest which two
items may be the same.
* Also many pages do not have any interwikis, nor locally, nor in Wikidata, while there
are articles about that same subject in other languages. Communities need tools to detect
those articles to be able to connect those pages to those on other language Wikipedias.
** Some years ago we had a user who had created a tool which suggested for categories a
possible interwiki, if the category was like Category:<subject in country>. What the
tool did was, it checked the interwikis of the categories the category was in, compared
the names, checked for the existing of that category and then suggested it to the user who
had to check and decide.
Hack on one of these...
Let us complete the first phase properly please.