Wikimedia is participating in the winter edition of this year's Outreachy <
 (December 2022–March 2023)! The deadline to
submit projects on the Outreachy website is September 30th, 2022. We are
currently working on a list of interesting project ideas. If you have some
ideas for coding or non-coding (design, documentation, translation,
outreach, research) projects, share them here: <
*About the Outreachy program*
Outreachy offers three-month internships to work remotely in Free and Open
Source Software (FOSS), coding, and non-coding projects with experienced
mentors. These internships run twice a year–from May to August and December
to March. Interns are paid a stipend of USD 7000 for the three months of
work. Interns often find employment after their internship with Outreachy
sponsors or jobs that use the skills they learned during their internship.
This program is open to both students and non-students. Outreachy expressly
invites the following people to apply:
* Women (both cis and trans), trans men, and genderqueer people.
* Anyone who faces under-representation, systematic bias, or discrimination
in the technology industry in their country of residence.
* Residents and nationals of the United States of any gender who are
Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, Native American/American Indian,
Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander.
See a blog post highlighting the experiences and outcomes of interns who
participated in a previous round of Outreachy with Wikimedia <
*Tips for mentors for proposing projects*
* Follow this task description template when you propose a project in
* Project should require an experienced developer ~15 days and a newcomer
~3 months to complete.
* Each project should have at least two mentors, with one of them holding a
* Ideally, the project has no tight deadlines, a moderate learning curve,
and fewer dependencies on Wikimedia's core infrastructure. Projects
addressing the needs of a language community are most welcome.
* If you don't have an idea in mind and would like to pick one from an
existing list, check out these projects: <
* To learn more about the roles and responsibilities of mentors, visit our
resources on MediaWiki.org
We look forward to your participation!
Senior Developer Advocate
Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>