To keep you posted and to clear up some previous confusion, here are a few
points about what is going to happen about the servers Wikimedia Germany (WMDE)
is going to Provide for OSM.
* WMDE will buy the servers. We already have a quote for them (as specified by
Jens), which is currently being looked over by the WMDE board. If they agree, we
can order soon (next week, perhaps).
* There will be two servers (one for the database, one for tiles and renderer)
in the main Wikimedia infrastructure - that is, they are run by the Wikimedia
Foundation. These are the "production" servers for integrating maps in
* Mark Bergsma will sort out the details for the production servers. At the very
least, Jens will have access to them, and perhaps Avar too.
* There will be an additional server for people to play with, the
"Map-Toolserver". This will be integrated into the existing Wikimedia
cluster. That is, it's run by Wikimedia Germany.
* The Map Toolserver will be supervised by the Toolserver admins; Avar will get
admin access there and focus on providing any OSM-specific tools and services on
* Access to the Map Toolserver will be available to anyone with a project
related to OSM. No connection to Wikimedia is required (this point was clarified
to me by Sebasitan today). Besides that, the rules will be the same as for the
rest of the toolserver (see <https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Rules>).
* For you to decide is who should be in charge of reviewing applications for
accounts - Avar told me he wasn't interested in that. Another question is if
"regular" toolserver users should get access per default, restricted only be
policy that whatever they do on the Map Toolserver must be relevant to OSM. I
would favour this, as it makes things a lot easier for admins, and it invites
people to play with OSM data.
* The Map Toolserver will be running a local MySQL instance (and perhaps als
PostGres) for OSM databases. It will also have OSM-specific software installed
(talk to Avar). It will not have capacity to process the whole globe for
everyone, so try your project on smaller datasets.
* Root access to the Map Toolserver will only be avialable for "full"
admins. To get that kind of access, approval of the Wikimedia Foundation is
needed. Since this level of access also grants access to private data if all
users of wikimedia projects, it is handled restrictively. "Local" root access
not technically feasible.
* I suggest the domain maps.toolserver.org
for the Map Toolserver - using the
domain makes things easier internally. Having an alias like
or something would be possible.
I hope this clears up any questions. I hope we have these babies up and running
Phone +49 30 219 158 260
Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of
all knowledge. Help us achieve that!
Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der
Nummer 23855 Nz.
Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,