Sorry to have missed the hangout. I was on the road, then couldn't find
the correct URL.
Question: what else currently needs to be completed with respect to Map
Warper, before we can launch a mass-upload of files to it, and try to
launch a first mass campaign of geo-referencing ?
I asked Tim Waters, who told me he was working on three things, which
were going well; and recommended I post to this list.
One of the things was letting people log in with their Commons login.
Unfortunately, I've forgotten the other two, and the email got
accidentally deleted by mistake.
So what other things do people think need to be altered on the map
warper, before we
* (a) do a mass upload from Commons to Labs of maps to geo-reference
* (b) launch a campaign for mass-georeferencing the uploads
* (c) use it to display geo-referencing for maps that have already been
For reference, as an estimate of the scale of what is on Commons already
(never mind new scans that are being produced), we currently have just
over 54,000 unique files in Category:Old_maps and Category:Maps_by_year
together, going down six levels, of which just over 41,000 are in
sub-directories of Category:Old Maps
There are also
* 4890 maps that we have that already have georeferencing from the NYPL
(not in the Old Maps hierarchy)
* 315 Ordnance Survey drawings, with georeferencing from the BL (also
not in the Old Maps hierarchy)
* 1126 maps from the Mechanical Curator collection, of which 107 are
related to images that have georeferencing from the BL, and the
remainder should be geo-referenced in the BL's next phase.
(The already geo-referenced maps are or will be accessible in
Category:Maps with links to external georeferencing
-- the BL are there already; I shall be adding the NYPL ones in a couple
of days, once I have jumped through the required hoops for bot approval).
IMO, it would be nice to get a campaign of geo-referencing underway.
But how close are we to being ready?