This is a very, very cool project.
Thank you for sharing, Hugo and Jakub.
On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 6:26 PM, ShareMap <contact(a)sharemap.org> wrote:
2. Map embedding as interactive SVG (or in future
maybe HTML5 Canvas with
WebGL 3D support).
This is how you do it at sharemap.org
Do you have examples of different implementations of this?
What we need from Wikipedia Community:
1. Quick adaptation of direct SVG embedding inside Wikipedia (MediaWiki
2. Help from volunteers in testing, evaluating and development.
< 3. Help with
infrastructure ... to run special instance of ShareMap
on Wikimedia infrastructure and dedicated for creation
[of] map for wikipedia.
Can you set up a wiki page that describes in a bit mor detail what
each of these would involve?
1. What is still needed here?
2. Where can volunteers sign up?
3. What might the system requirements be?
You also mentioned wanting support for scholarships or internships for
people to help work on the project.
You can submit a specific proposal for this or for infrastructure, for
grant funding from the Wikimedia Foundation:
You may also be able to get support directly from local Wikimedia
chapters, though the process there is not as clear (just write to them
individually). The largest chapter is Wikimedia Deutschland
(wikimedia.de), where there is a very active mapping community.