Thank you for a much hoped and encouraging proposal for the ‘Photowalk’!
The Commons needs more good quality photographs of Kolkata. I welcome to
Mr. Rangan Datta, the list of the heritage buildings that given by him is
really useful to us. May i re-propose with the following points:
1. It is open to all, Wikimedians or non-wikimedians, anybody can
participate with camera or without camera.
2. We will meet at the CSTC bus stand of Esplanade, Kolkata at sharp
6:55 am on 18th December, 2011.
3. After having a cup of tea we will start to north up to Victoria
building, then turn left towards Dalhousie area up to Strand road, then
Aakasbani Bhaban and return to Chittada’s tea shop to have tea again with
snacks. Total time required is about 2.5 to 3 hours.
4. I suggest please bring a note book and pen to write down the
details of whatever (s)he photographed for uploading purpose.
5. There will not be any subject bar.
6. We encourage uploading to Commons, but it is optional.
7. Please see the general guidelines at Wikimedia Commons:Image
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Kalyan Sarkar <kalyan.sarkar(a)gmail.com>wrote;wrote:
Let me introduce you to Rangan Datta, the renowned travel photographer,
whose travelogues are a regular feature in the columns of The Telegraph,
Hindustan Times and other dailies. He would be joining us at the Kolkata
Photo Walk on 18th December 2011 (Sunday). He has suggested below, a list
of buildings that we can cover along with some important tips.
Biswarup da, As discussed, would you kindly send the schedule and route
map that you intend to propose?
Let us make this Photo Walk a grand success!
Thanks and regards,
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Rangan Datta <rangan_datta(a)yahoo.com>wrote;wrote:
Dear Kalyan and othe wikipedia Calcutta members
Here is a list of buildings to be photographed:
1. Metropolitan Building*
2. Victoria House
3. Statesman House
4. Tipu Sultan Mosque*
5. Defence East India Headquarters
6. Raj Bhavan
7. Junior Staff quaters of Raj Bhavan.
8. National Assurance Building
9. Currency Building*
10. Central Telegraph Office.
11. St John's Church
12. Town Hall
13. High Court
14. Metcalf Hall*
16. Calcutta Collectorate
17. Eastern Rail Headquaters
18. Writer's Building (there is restriction)
19. St Andrew's Church
20. Lal Bazar
21. Beth el Synagogue
22. Magen David Synagogue
23. Portuguese Church
24. Armenian Church
The ones marked with * are best photographed in the afternoon.
This list is not exhaustive,
Some related links from my website & Blog
- Calcutta Architecture<http://rangan-datta.info/photo/thumbs.php?gallery=26>
- St. John's Church<http://rangan-datta.info/photo/thumbs.php?gallery=41>
- Links from my
I think we should restrict ourselves to outdoor shots only. Apart fro St.
John's Church we need we ned permision to shoot the interiors of other
Looking forward for the photowalk.