excited to share that we've released OOUI v0.43.0 last Thursday.
It will rollout on the normal train tomorrow, Tuesday, 18 January 2022.
Highlights in this release since v0.42.0:
- MessageWidget features now a `showClose` option for the optional
closing notices et al.
- MenuSelectWidget highlights the first selectable option instead of the
visible one. Thanks to volunteer Func.
- Numerous icon additions and improvements are featured:
-- The only nominal breaking change is removal of the `destructive`
variant from 'close' icon. The 'close' icon shouldn't be used for removing
or deleting things for user-experience consistency, please revisit your
codebase and use 'trash' icon instead.
-- 'stopHand' icon was deprecated and renamed to 'hand' icon while being
aligned to the Design Style Guide's icon guidelines.
-- 'watchlist' icon was added. Thanks to Alex Hollender.
-- Large number of 'bold' and 'italic' icons for specific languages
were aligned to the guidelines. Thanks to new Design Systems team
peer, Bárbara Martínez Calvo.
I'm specifically excited about these changes as they emphasize our goal
to provide first-class experience for our diverse language communities.
With updated OOUI demos and demos of future Vue.js-based UI
toolkit Codex, you're now able to see and compare all per language
icons. Thanks to Roan Kattouw and Ed Sanders.
- Last, but not least, more than 20 different performance optimizations
across widgets were included in this release, thanks to Thiemo Kreuz
at current work focus by Wikimedia Deutschland.
One call for notice here, widgets don't feature default implicit
`aria-disabled="false"` any more to save bytes sent to client,
only when set dynamically.
There was one case of a template breakage written to check for
this –now missing attribute. Please carefully test if this might affect
You can find details on additional new features, code-level, styling
and interaction design amendments, and all improvements since v0.42.0
in the full changelog.
If you have any further queries or need help dealing with deprecating
changes, please let me know.
As always, interactive demos and library documentation is available
on mediawiki.org, there is comprehensive generated code-level
documentation and interactive demos and tutorials hosted on
OOUI version: 0.43.0
MediaWiki version: 1.38.0-wmf.18
Date of deployment to production: Regular train, starting Tuesday 18 January
 - https://design.wikimedia.org/style-guide/visual-style_icons.html
 - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Vue.js
 - https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/g/oojs/ui/+/v0.43.0/History.md
 - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/OOUI
 - https://doc.wikimedia.org/oojs-ui/master/
 - https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Deployments#Tuesday,_January_18