I'm pleased to share Wikipedia Connection's annual report for the 2016-2017
Wikipedia Connection (<
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Connection>) is a student
organization at the Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, USA. The
group, run entirely by students with faculty support, hosts edit-a-thons,
workshops, presentations, photo hunts, and more on campus. The 2016-2017
report summarizes all the year's events, which brought in > 130 campus
participants through the year.
In addition to Wikipedia Connection, there have been Wikipedia student
organizations at Michigan University, Cambridge, National Taiwan
University, Pune, and a few more places. Wikipedia student organizations
are relatively lowkey on the global scale. Hopefully this report showcases
some of the things that can be done with universities - I think there's a
lot of potential for Wikipedia student groups around the world, and
documenting the process of setting up and running Wikipedia student
organizations is a project I'm planning for the near future.
SuperHamster on en.wiki
Nikikana and I are thrilled to be organizing Wiki Loves Monuments in the
United States again for the second year in a row. The event officially
kicks off September 1st, at 4 AM UTC / 12 AM EST / 9 PM PST.
Last year's event brought in over 11,000 photos (6th in the world) from
over 1,700 individuals (1st in the world), and we hope to see great numbers
like these again for 2017 - and we need your help!
Please take a glance at our event page:
Ways you can help make Wiki Loves Monuments a success in the United States:
* Promote! We want your state represented :) If you are part of a Wikimedia
affiliate, please promote the event on your social media and network. If
you have contacts at historical societies, museums, etc., consider
contacting them to see if they would be interested in sharing the event
with their own networks, social media accounts, etc.
* We have created guides to finding monuments for each state and most
While each state guide contains links to NRHP lists, most could use some
help with links to state and local lists of historical sites. Feel free to
expand your state's guide.
* We need jurors! Our judging process takes place over several weeks in
October, and we'd love to have Wikimedians involved. As a thank-you for
this year, all our judges will be receiving a WLM US t-shirt after the
event. If you have an eye for photography and/or a knack for historical
sites (or know someone that does!), and would like to help out, please
reach out to Nikikana, our jury coordinator, at niki.e.korth(a)gmail.com.
* We're setting up a press page at <
it's pretty simple now, and will be expanded soon.
Follow us and tag us in your social media:
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply or get in touch with
me Niki and I at wlmUnitedStates(a)gmail.com.
SuperHamster on Wikipedia
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kelly Doyle <kelly.doyle(a)mail.wvu.edu>
Date: Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 11:48 AM
Subject: [Wikimania-l] Updates: WikiConference North America
To: "wikimania-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org" <wikimania-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org>
We’re getting excited about WikiConference North America in just a few
short days! Ahead of our events on Wednesday and Thursday, we’d like to
provide some updates so you can plan your days. Between all the various
pre-conference activities, Wikimania registrants are invited to attend our
tours, edit-a-thons, scan-a-thons, photo drive, programming, and more.
Learn more on our website: <https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2017/Main_Page>
* Sign up for Culture Crawl tours: <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/
* Sign up for Thursday’s Unconference sessions: <https://wikiconference.org/
* Join our Telegram: <https://t.me/joinchat/GFsvtA24l31w_fHOvAFZzA>
* Order a t-shirt (arrives after the conference): <https://teespring.com/
* See map of venues here: <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ko_
These action items are clarified more in the email below.
- You must be registered for Wikimania and signed-in in order to
participate in WCNA 17 activities. If you haven't yet registered for
Wikimania, registration will be available on-site on the fourth floor of
the Le Sheraton Centre. The sign-in desk is located at the Le Centre
Sheraton. We’ll know you are signed-in if you’re wearing an official
- Before and during the conference, we'll have a Telegram group open for
WCNA attendees to talk, share, and ask questions. You may join the group at
- Safety first! Don’t leave backpacks unattended. If you need immediate
assistance, the blue-shirt organizing team will be glad to help; or you can
post a note in the Telegram group.
- Leading up to the conference, please be mindful of the weather for
Wednesday’s Culture Crawl. As we will be walking from location to location,
you may need a light jacket and/or umbrella in case of inclement weather.
- If you’d like a WCNA 2017 t-shirt, you can view the design and order
at <https://teespring.com/wcna2017> through August 14 at 11 PM EST. Note
that these shirts will be shipped to you after the conference.
- WCNA 2017 stickers will be available at the conference!
The schedule is now published for both Wednesday and Thursday! You can view
it at <https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2017/Schedule>. We are offering lots
of activities, including tours, two edit-a-thons, a scan-a-thon,
programming, and unconference sessions. While it's mostly finalized, note
that things may change up until and through the conference.
- Wednesday Culture Crawl:
- Our day includes scheduled activities at McGill University and the
BAnQ-Vieux; note that there are multiple BAnQ locations. We are
specifically working with the BAnQ-Vieux! We have created a map with key
locations marked at <https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ko_
- Breakfast is on your own.
- We begin our day together at 09:00 am at the Le Centre Sheraton
Montreal for a welcome, handouts, etc.
- There are various tours available. You can see them listed on our
schedule. If you are interested in a tour, please sign up at <
<https://goo.gl/forms/7VNFLLowPqtGFEY92>> as soon as you can. Tours
are capped at 25, so please sign up quickly!
- Lunch is not included on Wednesday. If you bring a sack lunch to
BAnQ-Vieux, note that food is only allowed in the Atrium and courtyard.
- Breakfast is on your own.
- Complimentary lunch and coffee breaks are provided on Thursday at
the Le Centre Sheraton Montreal for registered WCNA attendees.
- We begin our day at 09:00 am at the Sheraton in Salon 5, Level 2
(location of Track 1) with everyone together for an introduction
to WCNA as
well as our keynote addresses.
- This is followed by 3 tracks of programming, split between Track 1
(conference presentations), Track 2 (tutorials), and Track 3
- We will end the day together to share thoughts and ideas, just as
we did at the close of WCNA 2016.
- If you’d like to present on Thursday in our unconference track, you
can sign up at <https://wikiconference.org/wiki/2017/Unconference>.
This is a great way to informally share your work with other
hope that all of you will really make this track your own!
- The Wikimania opening reception starts at 19:00 and you are all
invited to attend!
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us via email or the Telegram group
chat with any questions or comments.
We're excited to be putting on events with the BAnQ-Vieux, McGill
University, and Wikimedia Canada, with help from the Wikimania organizing
team. Thank you all!
We’re looking forward to seeing all of you in Montreal.
All the best,
*/ **Kelly Doyle*
Wikipedian in Residence for Gender Equity
West Virginia University
Wikimania-l mailing list