If you only use guided tours on WMF wikis, you don't have to read the
rest of this.
Third-party users of GuidedTour should upgrade to latest master to
resolve a security issue, bug 49175
(https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/49175). Without the fix, tour
This has already been deployed to all WMF wikis.
I would like to share our proposed plan for Notifications and the E2 editor engagement features group in 2013, as discussed with our team in recent weeks.
We identified these follow-up goals for Notifications:
* Complete core features this quarter
* Deploy Echo on international projects next quarter
* Deploy cross-wiki and other key features in the fall
* Support mobile + multimedia teams and third-party developers
Our next steps are outlined in this E2 planning page (1) and E2 planning deck (2)
Here are our key milestones for Notifications this year:
* Phase 1: (Q4: June 2013)
- Flyout links
- Thanks tweaks
- HTML Email
- Metrics dashboards + A/B test
- Meta deployment
* Phase 2: (Q1: July-Sep. 2013, as time allows)
- International releases
- Investigate cross-wiki notifications
- Mobile notifications (*)
* Phase 3: (Q2: Oct.-Dec. 2013, as time allows)
- Cross-wiki notifications (*)
- File notifications on Commons (*)
- Third-party developer support (*)
For more details, see this roadmap (3) and timeline (4).
Note that Phase 2 is constrained by two key events that may impact our progress this summer:
* Visual Editor worldwide deployment in June/July
* Wikimania conference in Hong Kong in August
(*) Also note that asterisked items in phases 2 and 3 indicate collaborations with mobile, multimedia or other teams.
To prepare this plan, we listed, prioritized and estimated key tasks for Notifications for 2013, as detailed in this spreadsheet (5) and summarized in this overview (6).
This plan assumes about three engineers working full-time through the end of June 2013, to complete all remaining core features (A + B priorities).
For the next quarter, we anticipate a lighter load, with about two engineers working part-time on this project for a couple more months (on some but not all of the C priorities).
Please let us know if you have any questions or comments about this proposed plan. Note that the Flow team will prepare a more detailed plan for that product line in coming weeks, and the Flow milestones in our E2 planning page are still preliminary.
Thanks to Howie, Terry, Erik and the E2 team for helping us refine this plan together!
All the best,
(1) 2013 planning page for Editor Engagement Features (E2):
(2) E2 planning deck:
(3) Notifications roadmap:
(4) Notifications timeline:
(5) Notifications tasks:
(6) Notifications time estimates:
Product Manager, Editor Engagement
Donate to keep Wikipedia free: