just a wanted to post a quick summary of what I did today in order to
significantly reduce the SiteStore related memcached traffic.
I stumbled upon this comment
and thus poked a bit at
when we load sites from memcached. During that I found that we still
were loading the sites basically all the time. To get the number of that
down, I uploaded the following patches that have been reviewed, merged
and even deployed yet (thanks for the reviews Daniel and Katie):
* Don't lookup Sites from mc for the 'languageLinkSiteGroup' setting:
* Don't load all sites for LangLinkHandler:
* Don't access sites on WikibaseClient::getEntityIdForTitle:
That lead to a noticeable memcached traffic change (see attachment).
Memcached traffic graphs:
I still have https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/177416
in review, which
slightly changes the behavior of the other projects sidebar, but I think
that this change also has quite some potential to reduce memcached
traffic even further. Would be great if we could get that ready for
backporting until Monday.