[Labs-l] [Labs-announce] [action required] We are removing inactive projects.

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 8 21:56:27 UTC 2016

On 7/8/16 4:02 PM, Maarten Dammers wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I know resources are limited but I very very strongly object with this
> course of action. A lot of people are not on these mailing list, just
> not reading it or on holiday because it's summer.
I always make an attempt to personally contact project admins before
taking steps that affect a project.  That said:  If you are a consumer
of Labs resources, it is your /responsibility/ to subscribe to this list
and read announcements from admins.  Any unattended and unmaintained
server is not just a wasted expense; it is a potential security risk to
all of Labs.

> Suspending, shutting down and deletion projects is a good way to piss
> off and scare away volunteers.
And spending thousands of dollars of donor money on resources for
projects that no one has looked at in years is a good way to ensure that
we never have any new volunteers, because we don't have any resources to
give them.  It's clearly a balancing act, but I'm not clear on what the
alternatives are to having these periodic clean-ups.

-A