[Foundation-l] Fundraising and site notice

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 20:14:15 UTC 2007

Hoi,
In your assertion that Wikia is doing good with this way of funding, you
immediately indicate what the problem is with the proposal; it is being
done and quiet successfully by others (not only Wikia). The problem with
the proposal is also that in order to benefit from the proposal, the WMF
has to seriously invest in these projects. It must because this is then
how we make some of our money. The people who are not interested in the
"fanstuff" will not be interested in doing this and seriously, why would
the people who ARE interested in this stuff be willing to work on this;
the Wikipedia crowd exorcised them into another project? Why should they
be willing to do profit the WMF, when they can go elsewhere to nice
established communities..

We know how much money the Foundation needs.. It needs $1.500.000,- at
this moment in time.. Do you really think the fanstuff proposal will
make us the money that will be sufficient for the /increased /need for
money of the Foundation that is the consequence of the growth of its
projects?? This does not even consider the investments we would like to
make to make a difference in other ways (administrative for instance) If
you think the scheme will work for all this, please show us the math.

You explicitly asked for people to consider the proposal.. Sorry, to be
this dismissive.

Thanks,
    GerardM