[Foundation-l] Fundraising and site notice

Peter van Londen londenp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 21:02:48 UTC 2007

I think this idea doesn't deserve such an answer, but hey I asked for it:
1) I have not said that it should be the only way of funding, I think it
would help though as one out of the several funding possibilities to
generate the amount of cash, which you envision.
2) Communities have to grow. This was the same with Wikipedia, Wikibooks and
so on. I don't see why a Fanpedia would not grow.
3) Fanstuff is a part of Wikipedia. There are people fully devoted to these
mini-projects, they would move to the new project, even more when they share
the same ideals as we have.
4) I have no idea how much cash it could or would generate. People involved
in Wikia might have an answer though.
5) Until now I have heared answers why it would not work, but not much
answers which say what *would* work to raise to at least 1.5 million per
fundraiser. There are not many acceptable ideas, are there? I see your point
in the necessity of  loads of money, but there must be alternatives for
advertising on all projects.

This is the core of the proposal: we have one project which generates cash
so the other projects can be funded without advertising. It doesn't have to
be fanstuff, but that is popular and will generate a lot of traffic and
therefore money. It might also help keep editors who have a problem with
advertising on the projects.

I still don't understand the problems and would like to ask if we could make
a pilot-project. Let's say on the dutch projects and then see how this would
develop.

Kind regards
Londenp