[Foundation-l] alternatives

Teun Spaans teun.spaans at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 09:24:53 UTC 2007

A number of people answered this call. A summary of ideas from the dutch pub:
* save money on bandwith by symplfying html. - however, I checked and
html seems already pretty lean.
* Save discspace by deleting older versions of articles - probably
contradicts GFDL.
* Make lists of charities. Foundation board is probably already doing this.
* There were a number of people who suggested running selected commercial ads.
* Distributed storage - technically probably not yet feasible
* Grid computing
* Publish thematical information as commercial books
* Sell dvds, either whole encyclopedia or thematical
* Make deals with clones or block them
* Same for news agencies
* Make bio info available for pda's. A lot easier to carry around than
field guides
* Asks subsidies from UN, EU and individual states.
* Be more selective in accepting articles
* Much of what we have is fancruft, and it seems fairly popular. Move
all fanstuff to a separate project, outside wikipedia. Call if
fanpedia or something. Let this project be more liberal in its
acceptance of media, and let this project accept advertisements. This
could probably support all wiki projects.
* If images cost to much bandwidth, put a limit of 3 images / article.

teun