I am from Malayalam Wikipedia (http://ml.wikipedia.org) and I coordinated
the recent Usability change efforts for Malayalam Wikipedia. Let me ask a
question that is directly related to the new UI (vector). This question is
relevant only to languages that use non-Latin scripts.
In most of the non-latin language wikis there is a transliteration script
that we use for typing the text in the respective language/script. This is a
search box to switch on/off the transliteration script. See the attached
image (*monobook.png*) to get an idea where it is placed.
When we over switched to Vector, this c*ontrol box disappeared*.
is still working*. See the attached image (*vector_existing.png*) to see the
We want to add this control box near the search box as shown in the image *
vector_modified.png*. Can some one please guide us in this regard?
Many Indian languages wikimedians have asked me this question, since we
switched over to new skin on 2010 June 30. All the other language wikipedias
are getting ready for the change. All languages that use transliteration
scheme has this issue.
So a solution will benefit all the languages that use transliteration
I wanted to send everyone an update on Phase V of the Usability Initiative Rollout. This is the final phase and we are planning on rolling out the usability features (Vector and enhanced editing features) to all remaining projects that have not yet been switched. The release date has been set for Sep 1, 2010 at 10am PDT / 5pm UTC.
In preparation for the release, we have been doing the following activities which mostly revolve around helping us identify bugs and encouraging translations on the remaining projects:
* Central Notice: We are running a Central Notice  across all remaining projects. The notice informs users of the upcoming changes and asks for their help in translations and bug identification (see [1a] for landing page). We've asked people to complete the translations/bug reports by Aug 25, a week before release.
* Bug Identification: We are driving people to Bugzilla  and our bug report page on meta  to log bugs. Users can test the new interface by clicking on the "Try Beta" link at the top of the page on their project. This link will turn on the Vector and the other new features.
* Feedback: We're also monitoring the feedback page on meta  for general feedback on the features
* Translators-l: Casey B. sent a message to the Translators-l mailing list, asking for help in translations.
* Wiktionary and Wikisource: we posted to these projects as they are ones which have a heavy degree of customization and we wanted to alert them specifically of the upcoming changes.
* Tech blog post: We'll be posting on the tech blog  over the next day or so.
We will also post updates on the release plan to the release page .
As we're two weeks away from the release date, I'd like to ask for as much help as possible from our Ambassadors to identify bugs. Reports from our community members are one of the main ways we find out about stuff not working, so any help would be very much appreciated.
We'll be sending out more communication as we get closer to the release date. Please feel free to direct questions to either me or Alolita Sharma (asharma at wikimedia dot org). I will be out of the office for a few weeks starting Aug 21, but Alolita will be available for questions.
Thanks again for being an Ambassador!
Howie Fung, Wikimedia Foundation