The Android team has released a new version of the Wikipedia Beta
available now on the Google Play Store! Here are the highlights from this
- New: app shortcuts ("Search", "Random", and "Continue
and hold the app icon on your home screen to access these shortcuts, and
even place the shortcuts themselves on your home screen.
- Improved speed of loading larger articles.
- Optionally dim images when using dark theme. Access this option in the
app settings, or in the Font and Theme dialog when reading an article.
- Streamlined designs and color scheme in Light and Dark mode.
- Improved management of reading lists.
- Fixed several issues with language variants, specifically with
Traditional and Simplified Chinese.
- Numerous additional bug fixes.
This release also contains patches from these repeat contributors:
- Jorge Casariego, IRC: Jcasariego, Github:
- Yashasvi, https://about.me/yashasvigirdhar
We are planning for this release to be the last update that supports
versions of Android older than KitKat (that is, Android Jelly Bean and
below). After this update, users of Jelly Bean and below will still be
able to install our app from the Play Store, but it will be frozen at this
version, and will no longer receive updates.
Senior Software Engineer / Product Owner (Android)