*tl;dr: We'll be stripping all content contained inside brackets from the
first sentence of articles in the Wikipedia app.*
The Mobile Apps Team is focussed on making the app a beautiful and engaging
reader experience, and trying to support use cases like wanting to look
something up quickly to find what it is. Unfortunately, there are several
aspects of Wikipedia at present that are actively detrimental to that goal.
One example of this are the lead sentences.
As mentioned in the other thread on this matter
lead sentences are poorly formatted and contain information that is
detrimental to quickly looking up a topic. The team did a quick audit
the information available inside brackets in the first sentences, and
typically it is pronunciation information which is probably better placed
in the infobox rather than breaking up the first sentence. The other
problem is that this information was typically inserted and previewed on a
platform where space is not at a premium, and that calculation is different
on mobile devices.
In order to better serve the quick lookup use case, the team has reached
the decision to strip anything inside brackets in the first sentence of
articles in the Wikipedia app.
Stripping content is not a decision to be made lightly. People took the
time to write it, and that should be respected. We realise this is
controversial. That said, it's the opinion of the team that the problem is
pretty clear: this content is not optimised for users quickly looking
things up on mobile devices at all, and will take a long time to solve
through alternative means. A quicker solution is required.
The screenshots below are mockups of the before and after of the change.
These are not final, I just put them together quickly to illustrate what
I'm talking about.
- Before: http://i.imgur.com/VwKerbv.jpg
- After: http://i.imgur.com/2A5PLmy.jpg
If you have any questions, let me know.
Associate Product Manager, Mobile Apps
Hello Research, Mobile, and Design colleagues,
In case other people are interested who didn't attend the August Wikimedia
Activities Meeting, there was a design research presentation in the meeting
regarding personas of mobile Wikimedia users: https://youtu.be/yZPZmRQnkXU
On a related note, I would like to learn more about design research,
including about how design research interfaces with analytics and UX
design, and I would like to request that WMF have an office hour on this
( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )
Here are the last mobile maintenance releases. They have been rolled out
1.9.4 for iOS:
* NEW: sort languages in library language filter both by count or
* NEW: search for a zim file by name in library online catalog
2.4 for Android:
* FIX: External SD card problems
* FIX: Some UI translation
* FIX: Download manager process sporadic problems
* FIX: Support of most recent 4GB+ ZIM files
* NEW: Display download time estimation
* NEW: Many improvements in fulltext search
* NEW: Allow manual update of storage location
* NEW: Sort Bookmarks alphabetically
* NEW: Option to download only via WIFI
Kiwix for Android still suffers of a massive stability problem in the
download feature. Something we plan to fully fix in next version 3.0.
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/KiwixOffline
* more: http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Communication