[Wikipedia-l] The role of a wikipedia for a language like Hopi

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 22:22:07 UTC 2005

Hoi,
To start off with. As far as I am concerned, when the requirements are
met for a new project, it can be created. With five people adding one
article a week, you have100 articles in 20 weeks. I am happy with that.

What we have to consider when we talk about our wikipedias, is that no
two projects have the same content. Translations exist, but the majority
of the articles written contain info that makes it particular to the
language and reflects a culture. We aim to have an encyclopedia in every
spoken language. For me it is important that the content that is
important for a culture can be found in a wikipedia. When some argue
that English will do for the Hopi, I would argue that this may be true
for the general information that is provided in the English wikipedia. I
would also argue that content will be lacking that is particular to the
Hopi. When people who speak Hopi find the urge to create a Hopi
Wikipedia and decide not to write about the 1000 subjects that every
wikipedia ought to have. I would not be bothered. When they write an
encyplodia about their culture, about the things that are relevant to
the Hopi, I would be absolutely thrilled.

When the Hopi encyclopedia wants to include things that are of a more
general nature, it would be great. I am of the opinion that wikipedia is
an encyclopedia. Articles should be well written and encyclopedic in
nature. .

Thanks,
    GerardM