[Wikipedia-l] The role of a wikipedia for a language like Hopi

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 23:28:42 UTC 2005

You put it very nicely Gerard.

I don't particularly agree about the requirements, but I do agree with
everything else you said - an active Wikipedia is an active Wikipedia,
whether it's being written in a language with 10 speakers or one with
1 billion.

Currently, IIRC our greatest article-to-speaker proportion is for
Faroese. This is a bit sad since the Faroese Wikipedia doesn't even
have 200 articles, but if I recall correctly it is the truth (surely
Welsh and Basque are somewhere nearby in this proportion).

I could build a complex mathematical model, but I have the feeling
that a Wikipedia in a language with 1000 speakers has just as much
growth potential as a Wikipedia in a language with 1 million speakers,
although one may grow faster than the other, the latter will never
reach a size that the former cannot achieve as well.

Mark