[Wikipedia-l] Wiktionaries for all! - kinds of interlanguage links - utf-8

SteffenB n-scat at gmx.net
Fri May 7 11:46:44 UTC 2004

Tim Starling <ts4294967296 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've set up Wiktionaries for all 146 languages that have a Wikipedia.

Great work, I appreciate that! :-)
I hope, it is appropriate to answer in this list, even though it
concerns mainly interwiktionary issues:

Tim Starling <ts4294967296 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've set up a few basic kinds of interwiki links, which may be expanded or
> modified in the future. The "w:" prefix should link to the Wikipedia in the
> same language. Language prefixes link to other language Wiktionaries. To
> link to a different language Wikipedia, use [[Wikipedia:xx:Page]].
>

> The "Wiktionary:" prefix still links to the English Wiktionary, but a
> new "wikt:" prefix has been introduced which links laterally to the
> MediaWiki allowing "diagonal" linking, with the help of redirects. A
> link reading [[wikt:fi:kukkala]] on the German Wikipedia will link to
> http://de.wiktionary.org/fi:Kukkala, which will redirect to
> http://fi.wiktionary.org/Kukkala .

When adopting the Wikipedia (WP) structures however there should be
considered some significant differences in the needs for
interlanguage-links in the case of the Wiktionary (WD)! From each WD
entry have to be distinguished three different kinds of interlanguage
destinations:

1. The from the WP well known interlanguage links, displayed at the page
edge, does NOT link to translations, rather it links to the same
Homonyms in other WDs!
( de:Bank --> en:Bank,  --> fr:Bank )

2. The "normal" link to translations has it's destination within the
same WD.
( de:Bank --> de:bank, de:bench;  --> de:banque, de:banquette )

3. The actual (meaning-wise) interlanguage link would be one that leads
to the translation in the respective "native" WD:
( de:Bank --> en:bank, en:bench;  --> fr:banque, fr:banquette )
Due to ambiguity this link can not be handled in the same way as in WP.
It can be constructed manually of course:
Translations:
*Englisch: bench ([[:en:bench|English]]) [1], bank
([[:en:bank|English]]) [2, 3, 4, 5]
*Finnisch: something ([[:en:something|Suomi]]) [1,3], other
([[:en:other|Suomi]]) [2,4,5]
But that won't work in practice, to enter each time the native writing
of the respective Wiktionary language name, I suppose.

So it might be worth considering an interwiki-code for meaning-wise
interlanguage links. Whether this link in the text should display as the
  the native language name, or some other meaningful symbol,
respectively, is a further consideration to be done then. E.g. it might
be appropriate to introduce an "native-WD" symbol to indicate
meaning-wise interlanguage links in the text.

== Different topic, probably more important: ==

Is there anything we can do for supporting a soon and smooth change of
the character encoding from iso-8859-1 to utf-8, as long as the German
Wiktionary is tiny? (I'm also willing to support the to utf-8
transformation of the Wikipedia, off course. But there the constraints
differ slightly, due to it's magnitude, and some days more or less to
wait are off less influence on the effort.) Back to Wiktionary: I've
saved a Lang.php to

  http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/LanguageWiktionaryDE.php

in order to allow checking and improvement, so that it hopefully will
become suitable for usage, but probably it's not required any more as
de.Wiktionary is operational already.

Greetings --SteffenB