[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia and Wiktionary

Pablo Saratxaga pablo at mandrakesoft.com
Sat May 22 03:15:41 UTC 2004

Kaixo!

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 01:33:55PM -0700, Wikimedia PR wrote:

> <Hemanshu> I was wondering if Wikipedia should incorporate links
> to Wiktionary in articles?

We use something like that in the Walloon wikipedia;
we have a pseudo-namespace "Motî:" for dictionnary entries;
and whenever we use a word in an article that may not be very
known (Walloon is a small language with no official support, in
fact there didn't existed any language-wide dictionary until now, so
putting definitions is more needed than with other languages, like
English or French, where anybody is supposed to have a good dictionnary
on his shelf).

So it goes like this (from [[wa:Clå d' esté]]):

« On clå d' esté, c' est on [[Motî:sonnant|sonnant]]
  [[clå (del pea)|clå]] »

"sonnant" means "bleeding", and doesn't deserve an encyclopedic entry;
but as some people may not understand it first time, a dictionnary entry
link is usefull.

Note we don't use wictionnary but a pseudo-namespace on wikipedia;
first because we started with it previous to the start of the
wictionnnary project; and also for easyness; if a simple inline
link can't be done (like in the example above), then it is useless.
Now, if http://wa.wiktionary.org/wiki/sonnant could be made
linkable as [[Motî:sonnant]] from wa.wikipedia.org; then it would
be nice and we could ask to migrate the dictionnary section
(note however that wiktionary would be more useful case sensitive,
eg: http://wa.wiktionary.org/wiki/Måtche and
http://wa.wiktionary.org/wiki/måtche are not the same).

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aux latinidaj lingvoj]