[Wikipedia-l] Re: Force user to choose a licence when uploading data

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 16 03:12:08 UTC 2004

Imran Ghory wrote:

>>I second this proposal. Too many pictures just don't have _any_ information.
>>

>Ditto, along with a required "source" text field.

Requiring source information is far more important than giving users a
choice about what license to use. We should have done it a long time
ago. If we want any basis in international law to claim "fair use" on
images, the Berne Convention requires that we indicate the source and
the name of the author.

I don't know that it's such a good idea to give people a smorgasbord of
licenses to choose from, though. Trying to comply exactly with the terms
of the GFDL is enough work already. We'd be better off if we had a
uniform licensing policy for images, so that people don't have to keep
track of responsibilities that are different under each license. We
could just decide to tell everyone that all images you contribute must
be licensed under the GFDL, just like text.

--Michael Snow