[Wikipedia-l] Re: FW: Wikipedia for Old English

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Thu Aug 5 17:40:48 UTC 2004

James R. Johnson wrote:

> Sorry - there have been about 6 million speakers at the height of usage
> of Old English.  I guess it's like Latin in being a dead language, but
> just as deserving of a Wiki.

I am strongly in favour of a Wikipedia in the language that has the ISO
code 'ang' -- but *PLEASE DO NOT* call it "Old English". Call it
"Anglo-Saxon". Please. Seriously. That's very important.

If you call it "Old English", people will constantly attempt to write
articles in Shakespearean, which is early Modern English.

Timwi