[Wikipedia-l] Re: FW: Wikipedia for Old English

Pierre Abbat phma at phma.hn.org
Fri Aug 6 19:40:55 UTC 2004

On Thursday 05 August 2004 10:48, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> "James R. Johnson" <modean52 at comcast.net> writes:
> > I guess it's like Latin in being a dead language, but just as
> > deserving of a Wiki.
>
> Encyclopedia writer should try to get the facts right before posting.
> Latin is still in use (and it was never dead).  And, more important,
> Latin something like a sleeping lingua franca.

"Dead" referring to a language means "having no native speakers". Unlike Manx,
which died with its last native speaker (but is still in use), Latin died
(but remained in use) when its descendants differentiated sufficiently that
none of them was Latin, which can't be pinpointed as precisely.

phma
--
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa