[Wikipedia-l] New logo and further process

Steve Vertigum utilitymuffinresearch2 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 26 08:12:35 UTC 2003

--- Richard Grevers <lists at dramatic.co.nz> wrote:

> Yay - months of process and what do we get? The
> worst result - the logo
> that has the biggest technical problems in terms of
> reproduction in other
> media. Its greyscale version is incredibly unclear
> because it is far too
> busy.

I took issue with PM about it, and there was some
confusion about whether final was final-- I nagged
Erik a bit about the problem--- that if little details
like clutter were to derail a good logo concept, how
collaborative would that be--

Erik made it clear, as he did in the last message that
the "final logo version" is a concept piece-- its
minor details (like how much junk to throw on it) to
be worked out by consensus. PM agreed to open up the
creation process for his logo, so that people can take
a crack at it themselves, seeing that a great concept
should not have to sink on the weight of its merest
bugs, if the original designer cant think of
everything themselves.

It might even be cool to try out different things,
maybe photos (like the sunflower) mapped to the PM
puzzle-sphere-- maybe a change like that weekly for
the main... it would be easy to get carried away....
But some simple color mods will likely be the way to
go to select a solid "final final" from, that will
have dispensed with some of the commonly noted bugs.

Until a better idea comes along,
~S~