[Wikipedia-l] New logo and further process

Richard Grevers lists at dramatic.co.nz
Fri Sep 26 03:20:48 UTC 2003

On 26 Sep 2003 03:03:00 +0200, Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> gave
utterance to the following:

> We have a new logo! See
>
> http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_logo_vote/Results
>
> for the contest results.
>
> What now? As you may have noticed, I have taken the liberty to put the
> logo on the English Wikipedia already. However, this is not necessarily
> permanent but primarily serves to demonstrate how the logo looks in real
> world use. The above URL contains a link to the logo discussion page. You
> can make proposals for changes to the logo, and any change that finds a
> consensus can be made. There is no time limit on this.
>
> Now for the tricky part. Each Wikipedia can choose to "ratify" the new
> logo, or to keep its current one. This was an idea by Anthere (I think),
> and it seems reasonable to avoid hard feelings and to see if we have
> strong enough support for the new logo. If not enough people participate
> in this vote, the logo is automatically ratified.
>
> Thanks for participating, and let's do this again in two years ;-)

Yay - months of process and what do we get? The worst result - the logo
that has the biggest technical problems in terms of reproduction in other
media. Its greyscale version is incredibly unclear because it is far too
busy.
You just doubled or tripled the cost of Wikimedia letterhead, folks, so
everyone who voted for it had better donate extra.
--
Richard Grevers
Between two evils always pick the one you haven't tried