[Wikipedia-l] Test the new software! test.wikipedia.com is up!

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Jan 17 23:59:14 UTC 2002

Larry Sanger wrote:
> For all I know, we should go live with this ASAP.  Maybe all of the
> outstanding issues are so minor that we can easily live with them, and
> that we'd all benefit more from having the new software running than from
> aiming for an impossible perfection.

My current thinking, just so everyone knows, is that unless we see any
"showstoppers" that must be fixed before we move, and unless those
"showstoppers" are so difficult that we can't fix them before Monday,
we will go live with this on the English Wikipedia on Monday.

At that time, http://test.wikipedia.com/ will be reborn as the new
copy of http://pl.wikipedia.com/, and we'll make sure that their
issues are taken care of -- in a portable way.

After that, and I hope that will only take a couple of days really, we
will probably do Esperanto next -- it might not be as active as German
or Spanish, I'm not sure, but Brion Vibber is good at
internationalization issues, and Esperanto raises some special issues
that we will want to solve ASAP.

For all the inactive wikis, we'll just "blindly" import the data, but
with confidence that it will be o.k., because we have other languages
working, and take it from there.

--Jimbo