[Wikipedia-l] Re: yet another modest proposal to address

Jan Hidders hidders at uia.ua.ac.be
Mon Feb 4 16:03:17 UTC 2002

From: "Uri Yanover" <uriyan_subscribe at yahoo.com>
> > That deficiency is a feature, not a bug. What we want to avoid is that
> > writers qualify all terms of a certain knowledge space (fictional
> > universe,
> > scientific field, ...)  as belonging to the corrsponding name space. Not
> > all
> > terms in mathematics should be in the name space Mathematics, but only
> > those
> > that have to be because the term has also a different meaning in other
> > fields. The same holds for article subjects from Middle Earth.
>
> I don't think you understood my idea then. I didn't mean to use
> aliaes mainly to categorize, but rather to _disambiguate_ (e.g.
> [[root (botanics)]] vs. [[root (mathematics)]]).

Oh, I am quite convinced that this is what *you* mean to use them for. But
the important question is what the consequences are if many other people are
going to use it as well. That depends on some details that you haven't
explained yet. You could reduce the risc as follows:
- introduce special notation for links that have to be looked up in the name
space (so [[blah]] behaves normalla and [[~blah]] is looked up in the name
spaces
- if  a link [[~blah]] is not found in the name spaces then it is treated as
the link [[blah]].

Kind regards,

-- Jan Hidders