[Wikipedia-l] Re: yet another modest proposal to address

Uri Yanover uriyan_subscribe at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 05:01:22 UTC 2002

> Oh, I am quite convinced that this is what *you* mean to use them for. But
> the important question is what the consequences are if many other people
are
> going to use it as well. That depends on some details that you haven't
> explained yet. You could reduce the risc as follows:
> - introduce special notation for links that have to be looked up in the
name
> space (so [[blah]] behaves normalla and [[~blah]] is looked up in the name
> spaces
> - if  a link [[~blah]] is not found in the name spaces then it is treated
as
> the link [[blah]].
>
> Kind regards,
>
> -- Jan Hidders

Well, while aliases could be abused (as nearly everything on this planet),
I don't really see a reason why people would bother to create new topics
with names like [[Mathematics/Analysis/Zeta function]] and then making
the aliases for them when they could just do [[Zeta function]]. We could,
of course, do explicit alias escaping (~) but frankly I don't think it's
necessary. This is particularly so because more than 20,000 topics
have been created so far without any categorization and transfering
them all would be next to impossible.

Sincerely yours,
            Uri Yanover