[Wikipedia-l] Re: yet another modest proposal to address

Uri Yanover uriyan_subscribe at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 12:21:52 UTC 2002

> In some sense, but if you provide a list of #base pragma's  you have to
know
> which subject resides in which namespace if you want to determine in
advance
> how it is going to be expanded. In Tim's proposal this is not necessary.
> That deficiency is a feature, not a bug. What we want to avoid is that
> writers qualify all terms of a certain knowledge space (fictional
universe,
> scientific field, ...)  as belonging to the corrsponding name space. Not
all
> terms in mathematics should be in the name space Mathematics, but only
those
> that have to be because the term has also a different meaning in other
> fields. The same holds for article subjects from Middle Earth.

I don't think you understood my idea then. I didn't mean to use
aliaes mainly to categorize, but rather to _disambiguate_ (e.g.
[[root (botanics)]] vs. [[root (mathematics)]]). Because in most
fields there are very few internal disagreement in terms,
we should need very few alias pages.

[[Middle Earth]] is one of the few exceptions, where an alias
could be used to categorize (and therefore would point at all the
articles). The "normal" wiki articles won't need and won't use
aliases for anything but disambiguation.

            Uri