[Wikipedia-l] Transitioning toward a clean wiki syntax.

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu
Mon Aug 12 07:38:34 UTC 2002

The Cunctator wrote:

>Just wondering: when did LDC become in charge of determining what
>Wikipedia's syntax should be?

While I think that your fears are unjustified, Cunc,
at the same time I feel that I know where you're coming from.
Lee has said that he doesn't value humility, and it shows;
but this is his personality type, and I don't think
that he intends to be a tyrant (which I hope that you agree with).

This is one reason that I was trying to get a discussion forum
for bugs and features that more people would see than this list.
When Lee closes a request because he doesn't want to implement it,
it looks dictatorial and arbitrary to me, and *I* know better --
imagine what it must look like to a random user that doesn't!
But this is a problem of perception, because Lee *does*
bow to popular opinion -- and solicit it, as he did this time.

My opinion on the discussion thing, BTW,
is that the best thing to do might well be
to put a link to [[Wikpedia-L]] on [[Bug reports]],
with instructions that while SourceForge is for ''reporting'',
''discussion'' of bugs and features takes place on the list.
Does anybody object to my adding that?

-- Toby Bartels
   <toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu>