[Wikipedia-l] Transitioning toward a clean wiki syntax.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Aug 12 19:05:51 UTC 2002

Toby Bartels wrote:

>While I think that your fears are unjustified, Cunc,
>at the same time I feel that I know where you're coming from.
>Lee has said that he doesn't value humility, and it shows;
>but this is his personality type, and I don't think
>that he intends to be a tyrant (which I hope that you agree with).
>
>This is one reason that I was trying to get a discussion forum
>for bugs and features that more people would see than this list.
>When Lee closes a request because he doesn't want to implement it,
>it looks dictatorial and arbitrary to me, and *I* know better --
>imagine what it must look like to a random user that doesn't!
>But this is a problem of perception, because Lee *does*
>bow to popular opinion -- and solicit it, as he did this time.

At the root of most debates about dictatorship, cabals, etc. there is
this problem of perception.  The perception of a dictatorship can often
linger even when the reality of dictatorship is completely absent.  A
lack of humility doesn't help the problems.  Things do need to get done,
even if or as (regrettably)  meaningful conversations fade off into some
non-productive never-never land.  In a "tech" context a person with a
"dumb" problem wants to feel that he has been heard and considered.  He
doesn't want to be silently ignored, but he doesn't expect that there
will always be a solution to all of the problems that he raises.
Eclecticology

>My opinion on the discussion thing, BTW,
>is that the best thing to do might well be
>to put a link to [[Wikpedia-L]] on [[Bug reports]],
>with instructions that while SourceForge is for ''reporting'',
>''discussion'' of bugs and features takes place on the list.
>Does anybody object to my adding that?

No objection