[Wikipedia-l] If I queried the catalog, what would be there?

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Apr 1 23:32:00 UTC 2002

Lorraine Lee wrote:

> From: "Jimmy Wales" <jwales at bomis.com>
>
> > 3. "developers" -- the main extra thing that developers should have
> > access to would be "raw" stuff that's pretty technologically
> > "dangerous" if you don't know what you're doing.  I.E., ability to
> > enter arbitrary SQL select statements, even ones that might be really
> > slow.  This extra power should only be used for development purposes,
> > and not "in a content fight".
>
> I think I'm metadata-aware enough to be trusted with
> read-only SQL access to wikipedia, but I've been wrong
> in the past and can't think of anything immediately useful
> I'd do if I did have select access.

I'm in the same boat.  And I think read-only access should be fine for
just about anyone.  I mean, unless it proved to be a problem for some
reason.

I personally don't want to be able to delete things directly in the database via
the web.  I mean, if I REALLY have to delete something from the database, then for
now, I'm better off going directly into mysql on the command line and in a very paranoid
and cautious fashion typing it in.  :-)  I've never had to do that, but...