[Wikinews-l] Rebooting the "Wikipedia invasion

bawolff bawolff+wn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 17:22:57 UTC 2009

Yes, that is correct. {{Editintro from wikipedia}} is shown to anyone
who hits edit from a page on wikinews, when there referrer starts with
http://en.wikipedia.org  which covers most, but not all (ex secure or
mobile wikipedia) traffic from en'pedia. (unless the article is old,
in which case {{editintro notcurrent}} is show). As brianmc mentions,
if the user browses around, the referer header is lost. See
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Javascript#Custom_Editintros for
the gory details.

As for wikinews articles on portals - there is a bot run/developed by
Miza13 ([[w:user:Wikinews importer bot]]) that copies various DPL's
from wikinews to various portal pages & templates on wikipedia. This
can be most commonly seen from [[Portal:Current events]] on wikipedia,
where wikinews content is displayed quite prominantly (I think Cirt
set that up, if i recall). Wikinews content is also dynamically added
to several other pages. most portal pages have a small this topic in
the news section, and some articles on major topics (typically major
countries) have a {{Wikinews}} like template that updates dynamically
by the bot.

Of course there is also the manually added {{wikinews|Some article
name}} template that is added by hand like the other sisterlinks
templates.

----

As for this idea in general, I think this is a great idea, but we
should make sure to try and get wikipedians on board in so it doesn't
look like somebody from the outside is changing all these templates.

--
- Bawolff
Caution: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of 85