[Wikinews-l] Rebooting the "Wikipedia invasion

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Tue Dec 1 15:23:32 UTC 2009

On 1 Dec 2009, at 15:18, Brian McNeil wrote:

> There are a few special pieces of Javascript active on enWN which
> try to
> detect incoming Wikipedians and caution them about editing on
> Wikinews,
> i.e. articles are a "snapshot", not to be encyclopedic, &c.
>
> IIRC the flow is as such:
>
> 1. User reads Wikipedia article, sees link to Wikinews article
> 2. User clicks link, reads Wikinews article
> 3. User selects to edit Wikinews article, a custom WP-specific edit
>    intro is displayed.
>
> Any intermediate steps between 2 and 3 will see the "Referrer:"
> lost and
> the custom edit intro not displayed.
>
> Oh, and as some will recall, {{Howdy} }[1] has a "quick guide" for
> Wikipedians; I'd really love Jimmy and Mike Peel's input on this.
>
> [1] http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Template:Howdy

Is it a reasonable assumption to assume that all newly created
accounts and anonymous editors will be familiar with Wikipedia but
not Wikinews? If so, could something like that "Used to contributing
to Wikipedia? See here." link on the howdy template be displayed
automatically on the edit intro? Possibly with a "hide" button for
those that don't want to see it. Javascript tracking shouldn't be
necessary...

BTW, some of the landing pages could really do with a rewrite. e.g.
"We put our pants on one leg at a time, just like you, but our jeans
are cut faster and have some specializations that you might not know
about."
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:For_Wikipedians
I think that manages to be sexist and language-ist (colloquialism)
simultaneously, aside from being more broadly insulting... ;-)

Mike