[Wikinews-l] Rebooting the "Wikipedia invasion"

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Tue Dec 1 14:42:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 09:28 -0500, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Just let me know where I can help.  I understand that some in the
> wikinews community were dismayed at something I said in an interview
> recently about Wikinews having "struggled" for a long time - but I want
> to emphasize that I didn't mean to disparage Wikinews... part of the
> problem is that people go to Wikipedia to write things that they should
> be doing at Wikinews... and one solution is to use the massive traffic
> power of Wikipedia to drive traffic to Wikinews.
>
> I'd also like to have a private discussion (i.e. not on a public list,
> because because I wouldn't like to see random ideas I might throw out in
> a brainstorming session reported on as "news" about Wikinews in other
> press) with leaders (admins + active editors) of Wikinews about "the
> future of Wikinews".

I'm sure we could arrange a private list, or schedule an ad-hoc IRC
chat. And, I do know that some within the MSM will take the worst
possible fragment out of any sentence that they can - it does not seem
unreasonable that they might gleefully do so to jab at a potential
competitor like Wikinews.

The below link is - to me - the best hope we have. It offers a "fresh
field" for contributors (re: the Ortega research and chicken-little
media reaction), it covers Mike Peel's musing about WMUK issuing a press
release mentioning Wikinews as "The paper that's not paper, and won't
vanish behind a paywall".

I deliberately copied you on this because of a few things Mike Halterman
said, I thought the below proposed changes on Wikipedia fitted best with
how he characterised your opinions on Wikinews and its promotion.

> Lots isn't up to me, but I'm eager to see Wikinews flourish, and would
> love to throw around some ideas.

From the Wikinews perspective, we kept banging away at getting WP:ITN to
more prominently feature our project. That would be a good area to
revisit; I know some Wikinewsies would like this a full list of the
project's articles, but I appreciate it is on an encyclopedia and
playing a longer game of getting people to wrie articles on Wikinews.

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil