[Wikimediaindia-l] Wikimedia India chapter

BalaSundaraRaman sundarbecse at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 12:19:48 UTC 2011

Praveen,

Forgot to answer one of your questions:
> > Nos of edit is not criteria. The chapter created as society so there
> > must be voting system. So not worry!!
> Then what was the criteria?

While there's no hard criteria that I can
give, http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Guidelines_for_future_chapters#Contributor_involvement gives
 the guidelines:
As specified in the requirements, involvement of contributors to the Wikimedia
projects is essential to the grounding of a chapter.
However, it is crucial that each chapter remains an entity separate from the
Wikimedia projects. Chapters are independent organisations that group users of
the Wikimedia projects, regardless of their number of edits or roles within the
projects, as well as friends and supporters of those projects.
Founding a chapter with "all the admins" in the projects, or "only active
contributors" is the wrong way to go. It is possible that people who are not
active contributors will be interested in the real life commitment to the
Wikimedia movement that chapters enable, while others who are active
contributors will not see the necessity for a chapter. Make sure the balance is
kept between who is part of the chapter and who is not.
The Wikimedia projects are not the chapter's playground and the chapter should
never confer to its members a position of specific power within a Wikimedia
project.

I think there was a discussion on this earlier and Achal or someone gave a
history of how the people came together for this. If anyone can locate the
thread on the list archives, please
share. http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_India_chapter#Background_and_Progress captures
 parts of it (and the earlier unsuccessful attempts).

- Sundar