[Wikimediaindia-l] Wikimedia India chapter

BalaSundaraRaman sundarbecse at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 11:04:20 UTC 2011

> I rmember I asked about chapter's future plans in one of the other
> threads, but still no answer. Is there any basic ideas about future
> activities? Where I can find them?

Praveen, http://wikimedia.in/wiki/Main_Page is the place where chapter
activities are discussed.
By the way, the chapter doesn't mean just the EC, it'll include all volunteer
members once membership can be opened.
Please also remember that the chapter has come into existence only on Jan 3,
2011 and we have had only one meeting so far.
We've tried to communicate as often as possible with the wider community through
this list and the wiki, but more can be done certainly.

Following is a list of activities (compiled by ArunRam for an internal
discussion) of the chapter prior to registration (which itself turned out to be
a huge exercise):

	* We have a open mailing list people can write to. It has started to work well.
As an example we received an email from community this morning.
	* The EC members are now responding to queries or comments that come up on the
Foundation and India list.
	* The Wikimedia. in is up and running. You may have noticed EC members
beginning to encourage community to use this organize their events.
	* We have an established internal wiki where our meeting minutes are published,
 EC project plans drawn, contact repositories being built.
	* As a team we have learnt to work with each other and understand our
complementary skills, we have evolved mechanisms for decision making, rapid
actions and dealing with conflict openly and objectively.  (To me these are
important steps that make effective teams)
	* The EC team is paying attention to the OTRS lists. Anirudh is taking the lead
here.
	* The EC has been engaging and met community in some cities  (Bangalore, Delhi,
Mumbai). With grant support form Barry we will be able to do more face to face
meetings to build traction.
	* Sundar and Arjuna are engaging with Google. I am engaging with CDAC. HPN with
Knowledge commission. Anirudh and Srinivas are bootstrapping communities in
Ahmedabad and Indore.
	* Arjuna and Anirudh participated and manned stalls at Foss.in along with
community (Arun Ganesh).
	* The EC members have now taken it on them to participate and speak at external
forums to spread the word about wikipedia and wikimedia: Gautam spoke at a
conference, Arjuna spoke at a international conference in Delhi on localisation,
Srinivas spoke at a conference in Bangalore, I spoke at a conference in Bhopal
organised by the MP government.
	* Chapter teams attended meeting with Barry when he was in India and attended a
few meetings with Eric and Danese. HPN and I were present for the Jimmy visit.
	* Gautam and I  have been persistently following up with regular follow-up
visits to the registrar to close out the Chapter registration. Yes, it has been
painfully slow due to government bureaucracy.
	* Chapter EC members have also actively helped run meetups and academies in
cities - Bangalore, Kannada meetup (held recently), Delhi meetup 2. The many
Academies that Arjuna has helped with.
Individual chapter members co-ordinated many of the hugely successful WP Ten
celebratory events across the country recently. BLR (Arun, Gautam, HPN, Arjuna,
Srinivas and me), Indore (Srinivas), Delhi (Anirudh), Mysore (HPN), Because of
the delay in registration, we have not put these activities under official
chapter functions so far. There are so many other examples of such activities of
individual members.
See http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Sundar and
Anirudh's participation in the movement roles' project for example.

That said,  I agree that we should have better and more frequent communications
in the future. Hopefully, we can all do that with more support from community
members.

- Sundar
"That language is an instrument of human reason, and not merely a medium for the
expression of thought, is a truth generally admitted."