[Wikimediaindia-l] Towards improving infrastructure or resource people on Wikipedia

Ashwin Baindur ashwin.baindur at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 17:37:22 UTC 2011

Pradeep has come up with a wonderful idea. We do need networking and
expertise in every field possible.

I see this need not just in the activities he mentions but for the very
basic task of editing too. Every one has faced the problems while editing
on Indian topics. We lack images - try finding out of copyright images of
India's contemporary painters and their works? Reliable sources are
difficult to find. How many of us have access across a pay-wall or into a
database? How many of us can find someone to make a diagram, a recording, a
spoken version?

On many occasions these skills/items/opportunities may be available, not in
our city but elsewhere. We need networking and effort to get resources
which we can use.

So I feel that Pradeep's ideas can best be brought into fruition by pooling
our knowledge, skills, resources, effort together. We need a kind of
Cooperation Central for Indian Wikipedians where we can ask for help and
get it. We need to list our expertise in the field of knowledge - if I'm an
expert on the military, there must be a way for you to find me and ask for
help and advice on military matters . If I hold a whole collection of
books, I do by the way - there must be some way for you to know what I hold
so that you can ask me about it.  If I have a useful skill, eg in making
diagrams, ability to provide references or to guide anyone in GAN, FAR or
DYK, you must be able to find me and ask.

The challenge is how to make all this a reality. For that we will surely
need to overcome the latent inertia which characterises us Indians in so
many ways. And we can only do that by being more bold, more helpful, more
cooperative, one edit at a time.

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur