[Wikimediaindia-l] Question for Hindi Wikipedians

Shiju Alex shijualexonline at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 15:14:26 UTC 2010

The issue with Hindi goes beyond what is mentioned in the previous mails.
The account creation in Hindi Wikipedia should not be mistaken as the
account created by the native language users. After global account is
enabled, lot of automatic account creations are happening. And for many
people outside India , Hindi Wikipedia represent whole of India. For them
the first wiki they register among Indian languages is Hindi. All these
account to the total number of registered users.

Added to this the total number of speakers of Hindi is always exaggerated.
The speakers of few languages like Bhojpuri, Maithili, Rajastani,
Chhatisghari, and so on (and many other languages spoken in Hindi belt) are
treated as Hindi speakers. And it will go like that in official records.
Even though most of the speakers of the above languages can speak Hindi,
their mother tongue is one of the above languages. That is, they speak one
of the above language at home, and outside they speak Hindi.  All this will
reflect in the contribution to Hindi wikipedia. More over as Salmaan said,
in North India among educated class, their is a preference on English over
Hindi. For Hindi, there might be good growth from metros (for example, Delhi
and Mumbai). But for that the speakers of that language should have
willingness to contribute in Hindi wiki projects.

I foresee growth for Bhojpuri, Maithili, Rajasthani, Chhatisghari,...
wikipedias when Wikipedia's message reach the speakers of that language.
Bhojpuri is already moderately active.

So the browser and the operating system would be in English, most online
> communities and local blogs are also primarily in English.

User interface of browser or OS being in English is not a barrier to
contribute to language wikipedias. For most of us (who contribute to
language wikipedias) it is like that. Also not all of language are using
Windows. Many language wikipedians in India prefer GNU/Linux over Windows.
Apart from philosophical reason GNU/Linux has better support  for Indic
scripts. Most of the solutions developed for Indic scrips (whether it is for
wiki or for general purpose) are developed by GNU/Linux developers.

Shiju Alex