[Wikimediaindia-l] Question for Hindi Wikipedians

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 15:19:23 UTC 2010

Hoi,
What you write is completely beside the point. My operating system is in
English and I am perfectly able to see the characters in the Wikipedias we
have because I installed the font support for them. The small percentage of
people who edited have created a user on the Hindi Wikipedia. They are only
able to do this when they can navigate the user interface and for this they
must have support for the Devanagari script.

Gautam John wrote about the issues with Unicode. It is possible to provide a
keyboard map for Hindi showing on the screen. It is possible to create a
proper Unicode font that is free for to use as a web font.

All this has been argued before. What Frank shows with his numbers is
something that is no surprise. Looking for answers to those questions will
start him on the same journey that I have been on for some time. I would
welcome him and in him the Wikimedia Foundation to go this route that will
make the Indian Wikipedias flourish. I am sure that there is a pent up
demand for good information in the language from India. It takes a level
playing field for them to take off. The good news is there is a lot that can
be done technically to make this happen.
Thanks,
        GerardM