[Wikimediaindia-l] Clarification Regarding Kiruba Shankar's Involvement

Wikimedia India office at wikimedia.in
Tue Dec 14 07:19:50 UTC 2010

Date: 14 December 2010
Dear All:

There has been some public confusion as to the nature and status of Mr.
Kiruba Shankar's involvement with the Wikimedia India Chapter. This notice
seeks to clarify that:

   - Mr. Kiruba Shankar was initially associated with efforts to set up a
   Wikimedia India Chapter.
   - He has publicly acknowledged that he is no longer involved with this
   Chapter via an email on the 12th of March 2010 because, in Mr. Shankar's
   words:

“*There are times I overran myself in the assumption that Foundation
formation time could happen sooner and assumed I'd be part of the board and
hence a Director (designate) without realizing the really long gestation
period it takes to set up the foudation *[sic]* or the confusion it would
cause.*” [1]<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2010-March/000476.html>

   - However, this confusion has persisted and Mr. Shankar has, in the
   recent past, clarified that he is in no way associated with the Wikimedia
   India Chapter.[2]<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2010-October/001059.html>
   [3]<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2010-October/001061.html>
   - Sadly, it has come to our attention that he continues to make make
   unwarranted and patently false representations as to the nature of his
   association with the Wikimedia India Chapter. The most recent example being
   his visiting card that states that he is a Director of Wikimedia India,
   [4]<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/attachments/20101210/7d4f759d/attachment-0001.jpg>when
in fact no such position exists within the framework provided by the
   Memorandum of Association of the Wikimedia India
Chapter.[5]<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_India/MoA-ChapComVer>
   - When this was brought to his
attention,[6]<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/2010-December/001402.html>Mr.
Shankar responded to note that “
   *I ran out of my present bunch of cards and since I had to travel to
   Lavasa for the INK conference, I had to pick my old bunch of unused cards
   because my new cards got delayed from the printers. I had consciously been
   striking out the position clearly on each of the cards ( attached are two
   photos of the entire bunch and a closeup of one such card) . I'm sorry that
   the card that your friend got missed out. If in doubt, you can check out
   with others (though your friend) that I consciously stuck it
out.*”[7]<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/attachments/20101210/baa7c785/attachment-0002.jpeg>
   [8]<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimediaindia-l/attachments/20101210/baa7c785/attachment-0003.jpeg>

Given the continued nature of the confusion and misrepresentation, we have
been forced to issue Mr. Shankar notice to cease and desist from such
activity.[9]<http://wikimedia.in/wiki/Public_Notice_regarding_Kiruba_Shankar%27s_Involvement>

These notices have both been posted here:
http://wikimedia.in/wiki/Announcements

Yours faithfully,

Wikimedia India EC