[Wikimediaau-l] Membership, regional participation and other things

Andrew orderinchaos78 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 04:53:27 UTC 2009

2009/12/14 Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 2:45 AM, Andrew <orderinchaos78 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > This assumes that meetups will fix the perception problem. I don't think
> it
> > will - they're good for social purposes but not much else.
> > I work in education and I know that allowing people to own their
> successes
> > increases their willingness to try more and stick around, and gives us
> > valuable selling points to encourage sceptical locals.
>
> But who is out there, and what sort of successes would they like to
> own? And what methods would be better than meetups for establishing a
> core of regular participants?

Re successes - that's exactly what I want to try and find here in Perth and
encourage others to do similarly elsewhere. And meetups don't build much
beyond personal links/friendships in my view - they're fun, but not
productive. It shouldn't be forgotten WP meetups are not WM meetups -
enthusiasts of one may have no interest in the other, especially if "what's
in it for me?" can't be answered adequately (Gnangarra and I actually had
this experience at largish Perth meetups trying to promote WM.)

cheers
Andrew