[Wikimediaau-l] Aboriginal languages (reply)

Bruce White bruceanthro at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 01:38:42 UTC 2008

Hey all

I haven't really been following discussion (below) .. I guess, the recent formulation and release of Maori online is relevant/pertinent?

Speaking with some limited experience, I wish to note:

1)  there are increasing numbers of Aboriginal peoples across Australia who are working/training/starting to use web accessible, web based technologies to 'map' and/or record place names, culture landscapes. including languages ..

2) in all/most cases however .. languages and present .. used to name and tell all in the past and the present .. are often properly (?) regarded as a cultural resource exciting exciting a vast array of valid cultural and intellectual property issues to be worked through etc

Otherwise .. on first glance, it would some worthy projects/goals might be able to be built around Aboriginal languages/knowledges .. using Wikimedia ?!!

Cheers

Bruce (bruceanthro)