[Wikimediaau-l] Melbourne Wikimania 2010

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 05:55:35 UTC 2008

I think it would be a great idea to do either a miniconf or co-locate
with LCA one year, but unfortunately with LCA09 in Hobart I don't
think it's a good idea.

I am pretty sure you cannot register for a miniconf only, and have to
register for the whole conference. Last year's prices:
Hobbyists $352.00
Students $154.00

Given those prices + the need for most people to travel to Tassie, I
don't think it's realistic.

I would like to organise our own event or events though. Maybe small
events in as many cities as possible, over the same weekend. Like a
distributed conference or something.

Disclaimer: I am intending to submit a miniconf proposal for LCA09,
with Adam Hyde ( en.flossmanuals.net ) called "Free as in Freedom"
(free software ethics, free culture, open access, open educational
resources etc). Naturally Wikimedia fits under this umbrella and I
would welcome any Wikimedian submissions if the miniconf is gets
accepted. :)

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/